Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Molly's Suds Review



For awhile I have been debating about making my own laundry detergent or even simply using a more Organic laundry detergent. But I have always put it off.  Ryder has been having some issues with his skin and I have switched him over to only coconut oil on his skin and it has helped a lot (more on that in another post!) but I have been feeling like I needed to do more! We also found out that Austin has slight eczema, and has since he was little.. little did we know! 

We have always been a Tide family, always. Until recently.. this is kinda embarrassing to admit but, Austin has some sick obsession with Whisk laundry detergent! A few months ago I caved and bought it just for his laundry.. then ran out of Tide and started using it on ours. (Now Im not saying Whisk is a bad product, or a brand that won't clean your clothes, but for someone like me that tries to reduce the amount of chemicals I expose my family too this isn't  the best product.. just smell it, it is STRONG and it leaves our clothes feeling like there is a film on them. Nasty right.. and chemical wise, I'm Tide is no better) 

Anyways, 100daysofrealfood.com had a discount code for Molly's Suds, who I have been wanting to try. It was a Friday night and Austin had made me a mixed drink that was "one shot too strong" and it gave me the courage to spend the $61.25 (including shipping) and just do it. Which was actually a great deal.

One thing I loved was that there was tracking on the order. So I could see exactly where it was. The shipping said 3 business days, but because of the holiday it took about 5 days to get to it's new home! 

When I saw the box sitting outside my front door my first thought was, "thats a small box!" But it was just packed very well ;)


Everything fit so nice and perfect in the box!!

This is what I ordered: 

*1 bag of laundry powder- 128 Loads
*All sport wash- 32 loads
*6 wool dryer balls
TOTAL with SHIPPING: $61.25 (with discount code) 

(You can order the same "starter package" for $65.00 right now + shipping HERE

They end sent me a 20% off coupon for my next purchase! 
and added some cleaning tips as well.


The second I opened the package I HAD to try it out. So I grabbed a load of towels and threw them in. The instructions say to not overload the washer because it needs room for agitation.. I opened the bag of laundry powder and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell, it smells wonderful.. i wanted to eat it (they advise you NOT to eat it). I have front load washer/dryer so I put one scoop of laundry powder directly over the clothes (which felt strange!) To my first few loads I added 1/2 cup (ish) of vinegar in the fabric softener tray like suggested to help assist in the removal of buildup from our old laundry detergent and for softening. I washed the first loads with warm water like suggested as well. When the wash was done I was pleasantly surprised how fresh our towels smelled. For my whites I added some baking soda to the wash to assist in brightening..  I then threw them into the dryer with 6 dryer balls and turned it on. The towels came out soft and smelling clean! I am happy!!

Since we do not put any of our shirts, or any of my jeans in the dryer I was worried they would come out feeling hard or stiff, but they hang dry soft just like before. 

One thing I have noticed now that I have washed more of our clothes is that our clothes aren't left feeling like they have laundry soap or dryer sheet residue still in them. They feel clean and fresh and no residue left over which is great.

*I have washed in both warm and cold water and see no difference in the effectiveness.. both worked great, however Molly's Suds recommends warm water wash. 

Austin isn't really loving the dryer balls. He thinks that they are too loud in the dryer and I kinda agree. I took three out an the noise was reduced and made him a little happier! He does agree though that they make our clothes super soft. 


One of the main things that drew me to Molly's Suds was this statement:

"No sodium laureth/lauryl sulfates, no phosphates, no petrochemicals, no formaldehyde, no parabens, no 1,4 dioxane, no fillers, no Diethanolamines, no synthetic surfactants, no PEG (polyethylene glycols), no NPE (nonylphenol ethoxylates)."

 WHY IN THE WORLD would any of that crap need to be in our laundry detergents? Just sayin.. makes no sense.

Overall, I am VERY happy with my Molly's Suds purchase. I love her story, her mission, this product. Really you should head over to www.mollyssuds.com and give it a try!!

No comments:

Post a Comment